Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl

Hey everyone. This week I am back with another review as I am every Monday that this time I went back to my childhood a little. I remember always watching Charlie and the Chocolate factory with my dad, and way before that watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. After all of this time, and because I had a little extra time on my hands, I decided it was time to read the book. I know there is a second book to the series as well, I just found this out after reading the first one, but I am not going to read that one because frankly it doesn't relate to the movie and I don't care all that much.

As many of you will know Charlie and the Chocolate factory the movie has been a huge hit even before it came out as a sort of remake of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory which came out many years before. After reading the book I found that the newer version actually stayed much more true to the story, although they did add in some Daddy issues which were never mentioned in the story.
The clothes Willy Wonka wears in the first movie are much closer to the original in the books but both Wonka's fail to represent the true old age of the book version. Also none of them have beards which is mentioned in the book. Although when it comes to oddness I think the newer version pretty much has it dead on.
There were of course a few differences both movies didn't catch onto such as the fact that all of the parents attended the factory during the visit but Grandpa Joe stayed true to the movies and was the only one who went with Charlie on the visit.
What impressed me a little was that the songs from the new movie actually took the lyrics from the book. They left out a few lines and added in modern beats but they tried to follow the books it seems even down to some of the things that the parents said when responding to Willy Wonka.
Of course both endings were different as the one in the book was very to the point and quick. This was probably because there is a second book but I don't intend to read it because it seems to be unknown territory. I hear mixed reviews about it and I don't have the extra time now to get off of my schedule. 

All in all the book was pretty good. I read the whole thing in just under two hours (it isn't very long) which is nice. I happened to decided to read the book while I was watching the movie so that I could actively compare how alike the two were. If you are a fan of the movie and are planning on reading the book this is a good way to do it.
Of course I was doing it all on my computer so it made it easier to pause the movie while I was reading but if you are creative I am sure you will figure out a way.
I rate this book at a 3 out of 5 star rating.
Have a great week everyone and I will see you on Wednesday!
- K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kings or Pawns By J. J. Sherwood

By the Hands of Men: The Old World by Roy M. Griffs

The World Below by Mike Phillips