The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket

Hey everyone, this week I decided to get back to a classic novel series. Some of you may have read my reviews of Harry Potter, which I haven't had the time to finish yet because of other books that I have on my list to finish.
The first thing I have to say, not just about this book, but about the series so far is, "Holy bugger is every adult really this bloody daft?!" I mean seriously as great a story as this is it is almost ruined by the absolute stupidity of everyone in the books besides the main characters and the villain!
But let me tell you a bit about it.

Violet, Klaus, and Sonny have now very suddenly become orphans when a fire suddenly destroys there home and kills their parents. Since they are all very young, Sonny still an infant, they are shipped off to live with a member of their family Count Olaf. 
Right off the bat the children are unhappy with all of the chores they are forced to do. They are given only one bed and are denied all of the things that they loved at the hands of their new caretaker.
When things escalade after the children are asked to prepare dinner for his actor friends. 
Now the children are trying to figure out what their new caretaker is planning for them. Will they figure out what he is up to or will he get away with stealing one of the only things left to the children after their parents died?

Now many of you will have probably seen the movie that came out based on this series and if you have read the books as well you will know that there is almost nothing in common. The only thing they managed to do was make Count Olaf seem a little funnier than he is in the books.
All in all it is a pretty good book if you discount all the complaining I did at the beginning of this review. It has a dark atmosphere and for once in a book/movie it doesn't end on a high note. You might think this makes me a little odd but a change is nice.
In the end I would give it a 4 out of 5 stars because I like a book that has an original feel.
Have a nice day and happy reading!
- K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kings or Pawns By J. J. Sherwood

By the Hands of Men: The Old World by Roy M. Griffs

The World Below by Mike Phillips