The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Alright, I am back again with another book review. This week I decided it was time to read a book that I had heard good things about, and that I knew had been turned into a movie. I don't have any plans on watching the movie to this but that isn't unusual for me. Also it was recommended to me by my roommate who also loves to read so I took her word for it and went ahead to read it.
What struck me right away was the writing style and narrative, which was from the perspective of death. Like in Good Omens, which I also did a review on, the narrative style of the book is very unique and the little notes that are put in every now and then give the book a more personal feel.
Before I say any more it is important that I let you know what the book is about.

Leisel has just moved in with her new adoptive family living in Germany in 1939. Her mother was to leave her and her brother (who dies on the train on the way there) with them so that they would be safer and have more than she could offer.
But as she settles in she finds that she is plagued by nightmares of her brother's death, and is soothed by her new father who slowly teaches her how to read from the book that she stole from the grave digger. 
She makes friends and does well in school, and for a time it seems like everything is going well for her and her new family. But as with all great books the happiness can never last. We all know that.
Soon a man arrives at their small home with a letter stating that the father owes him a favour. They will need to hide the man in their house until the end of the war when he will be sent back to his home.
But there is one major problem with hiding this man in their house; he is a Jew. And to hide a Jew in ones house, in the middle of Germany, in the middle of World War Two, raises many more problems than they can afford. But in the end, they really have no choice.
The story will follow this little girl as she grows up in the heart of Germany, learning to read from stolen books, and harbouring an illegal Jew in her basement. Still, the war rages on. How will all of these things effect a growing girl? You will just have to read it to find out!

I really did like this book both for the writing style and the characters that were thrown into the mix. And while the author takes a different approach to story telling by telling you right off the bat how the book is going to end, I still found myself enjoying it as much, if not more, than most of the normal books I would read.
This is a book I would recommend to everyone to read, and is one of the rare cases of a book I believe should be looked at in high school Literature classes. The genre, era, and different style of writing would make it perfect as a personal project for anyone to take on.
I would give the book a 4 out of 5 star rating and a certain recommendation. You cannot say you a re a lover of books if you have not read one like this before.
So I hope you all have a nice week and I will try to post an update of some sort on Wednesday as I always do.
- K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kings or Pawns By J. J. Sherwood

By the Hands of Men: The Old World by Roy M. Griffs

The World Below by Mike Phillips