How I rate a book, and what does it mean?

Hello everyone! For a while now I have been giving ratings on my books that I read, and I thought it might be good to do a post on what that rating means, and how I decide to rate it. I read a lot of books, and it took me a while to figure out what it was I wanted out of a book.
Rating is not easy, not as easy as it seems, so here is the rating scale.

1 STARS: The book sucks, I couldn't even finish it, and I didn't make it halfway through the book. Very rarely will I rate a book this low, but there have been a few cases in which this has happened. I would never say not to read a book, even if it is this bad, I would only say that I don't like it, and give what those reasons are. 
2 STARS: The book was bad, but I finished it. It hurt to finish it because I was so friggin' bored by it. A lot of these cases come from books that I have high expectations for and that let me down greatly when I read them. Sometimes it is just books that I don't want to read, but I do for the blog even though I know I won't like them.
3 STARS: Neutral opinion on a book. It didn't suck, but I didn't really like it all that much. Maybe it was okay, but I wouldn't read it again. With this star and every one lower than this, I would donate the books to the public library once I have finished writing the review for it so that others can get the chance to read it as well. A lot of the books I read lately are in this zone of stars.
4 STARS: This is a good book. I liked reading it, and I will not donate it because I like thinking about it. I won't read it again, mind you, but it is good enough to reserve a space on my special bookshelf. These are the books I recommend my friends to read, and the ones I recommend when others come to me and ask for a suggestion.
5 STARS: Great books that I love so much I want to read them over and over again. These ones don't get donated, they don't get loaned out, and they are kept in perfect condition from the moment I finish my first read through. I will tell you to read them 100%, but don't expect to get my copy. Surprisingly, I have quite a few of these books, and I do keep them in perfect condition. So if you see a 5 star rating on a book, it is something special.

So when you see a rating and you aren't sure what to think of it, check this page out and hopefully it helps you out!
Have a nice day everyone, and catch my next review posting on Monday!
- K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kings or Pawns By J. J. Sherwood

By the Hands of Men: The Old World by Roy M. Griffs

The World Below by Mike Phillips