A Sudden Light by Garth Stein

Good evening everyone. Today I finished reading a Sudden Light, which was in the bestselling selection at my local book store. I figured since it was a popular book I should give it a read. The description seemed different from my normal work but also looked promising. 
The first thing I noticed when I started reading was that the writing style was relaxed and easy to get into. There weren't many characters to keep track of, the location was a nice country setting, and the plot didn't move too quickly. All in all I felt perfectly relaxed and entertained reading this book.

Trevor is going through a rough time in his life. He is about to turn 14 and his parents have just separated. Not only that but he has lost his home, been forced to travel across the country to live with his distant father to live with his grandfather and aunt who he has never met.
While at the house he gets to know his grandfather better despite his dementia. He starts to know his aunt who has mood swings more often than a jungle-gym. His dad then starts growing more and more distant.
With nothing better to do with his time, Trevor sets about unlocking the Riddles of Riddle house. He discovers, with the help of his ailing grandfather, a notes leading to the discovery of his great-uncle who had a world of secrets of his own.
But the ghost of Trevor's families past has yet to leave the house. With some very unexpected help Trevor starts on a journey to figure out where he stands in his family line.
Does he help sell the house to make his father happy? Or does he honor the wishes of a long living ghost and return the house to the land?

A great read with a great story line. I would recommend this story for a great before bed read. There is little action but it a great story of discovery of family history. 
I would rate this at a 4 out of 5 stars.
Also, don't forget to do the poll so I have a better chance at improving the blog for you!
Have a great day and happy reading!
- K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kings or Pawns By J. J. Sherwood

By the Hands of Men: The Old World by Roy M. Griffs

The World Below by Mike Phillips