Moby Dick by Herman Melville

Hello everyone I am back again with another review. This week I will be reviewing Moby Dick, which has long been a classic on many of the lists from K's Classics. 
I decided to finally read it after a while of nothing besides curiosity for what it would be about. After all, there is a whale in it, and a crazy guy with a peg leg. What isn't to love about a story as seemingly wacky about it? What I didn't take into consideration was the fact that it was a classic and therefore it did not have the layout of normal books that I would normally read. That was a mistake.

So we start out meeting our main character, who seems so useless to the story that I can't even remember his name. He sets out for a port town so that we can go whaling, because he loves the sea and likes to be on boats. Okay then.
On his way he meets a cannibal with whom he shares a room with. Turns out the guy is really nice, but he doesn't speak English well. So they strike up an unlikely friendship and head off to try to find a ship to get on.
They go on some adventures before finally getting aboard a ship with a mysterious captain who has a shady background concerning a massive whale who had lead to him losing one of his legs. Along with his new crew mates our narrator sets sail onto the sea looking for a story, and the catch of a life time.
What he gets is much more than he could have ever expected.

I didn't finish reading this book. There, I said it. There are literally over 100 chapters in this book, and it takes almost 30 of them just to get to the boat. The rest of them are just useless chapters describing the setting, the characters who don't really matter all that much, and there is barely any story.
When I went into this book I was looking forward to reading about the whale, the captain, and the great adventure that they went on. But it too so damn long to get to the ship, not even the adventure only the ship, that by time I got there I didn't even care anymore. I just put the book down with disappointment and moved on to my next read.
I am not saying that you shouldn't read this book just because I didn't like it. I didn't know what I was getting into when I took on the task of reading it! As a Classic I always recommend reading it even if I didn't like it myself.
Normally, because I couldn't finish the book I would give it a One out of Five star rating. But because it is a classic, and I understand that I can't hold them up to the standards I set for modern day books I will give it a bit of a higher rating.
TWO out of FIVE stars, because my God if I kept reading I was going to go insane.
That is all I have to say for today, so enjoy the rest of your week and I look forward to seeing you Friday with another K's Classics.
- K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kings or Pawns By J. J. Sherwood

By the Hands of Men: The Old World by Roy M. Griffs

The World Below by Mike Phillips