The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

"42"
Good morning everybody. Summer is almost here so I hope everyone is in good spirits. Today I decided to read an old classic. The book wasn't overly long so I didn't have any trouble finishing it in record time. But my God was this a weird book if I ever did read one.
I have never seen the movie but I have heard many weird things about the book/movie over the years. Since the book was relatively cheap at a local bookstore I thought I would pick it up and give it a go. It is one of those strange classics that everyone knows about after all.

Arthur Dent is having a really really bad day. First the ministry has decided to tear his house down whether or not he is in it. But that is only the beginning of things.
When his friend Ford shows up to take him to the bar, insisting that he drink 3 pints of beer in under ten minutes, Arthur learns that losing his house might be the least of his worries. 
Within minutes the Earth has been destroyed and Ford and Arthur have hitched a ride on a space ship heading out of the area. As it turns out, Ford is actually an alien who got stuck on Earth fifteen years back and has known for a while that the world was going to be destroyed. Thankfully for Arthur he decided to take him with him.
But now Arthur has to learn to adapt to the strange things happening around him that he never could have imagined before. 
What will happen to Arthur as he zips across the Galaxy? With his only home gone forever he is going to have to find a new way of life with his friend Ford.

To be honest I didn't know what to expect when I started reading this book. I certainly never could have predicted it was going to turn out the way that it did. 
I liked the way the author played on an almost childish conversations that in many ways seem alien. The characters were funny and I never knew who it was that was good or bad. There were so many twists that it came to a point where you can't even begin to guess what is going to happen next any more.
I would rate this book at a 3 out of 5 star rating. 
I hope you all have a good couple days and I will see you again on Wednesday!
- K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kings or Pawns By J. J. Sherwood

The World Below by Mike Phillips

Happy Halloween!