Paperback vs. Hardcover

Good day everyone, I hope you are having a good week. I have so many books to read in the next couple weeks that I don't know when I will find time to study... I hope that you are all working hard on your reading challenge, and for those of you who are not working on them, I hope you are at least reading. 
Lately I have been having trouble choosing whether or not I want to buy hardcover books or paperback ones. There are advantages and disadvantages to each and I would like to outline some of these today.

Let's start with paperback books. These kinds of books often come out a few months after the initial release, or in some cases are the first to be released. 
These kind of books are cheaper because they have softer covers and flimsier spines. Many people buy these types of books not just for the cheap prices but because they aren't as heavy as hardcover and have the cover permanently placed on the front.
The downside of these books is that, if you loves books as much as I do, you will find that they bend much easier and are ruined much faster. Another thing about paperback is that the spines are easier to break, which to any book lover is like the first sign of death for a book. When I see a broken spine I feel a little cringe in my spine for that book. A broken spine is the sign of someone who doesn't care about books.
That is why though paperbacks are lighter and less expensive, they are not the perfect choice for book lovers. I understand that many times you can't help but buy a used book that has already been destroyed. I always encourage supporting used bookstores and libraries where you will find many books like this.

The other type of book (that you can hold) is the hardcover. This is normally the first version of the book released. Often if the book is popular enough the hardcover edition will come back with a few additions.
Of course these books are more expensive and heavier in contrast to the paperbacks, but they come with some pluses as well. While the covers are removable, which is an inconvenience in when you are holding the book it isn't hard to remove the cover and add it to a collection of some sort, or even just put them aside somewhere. Often times the hard cover underneath the removable layer will have a cool design or engraving that is unique to the book series. 
And as I mentioned before it is harder to break the spine and ruin the book so they last a lot longer. A lot of my books are hardcover, mostly because I get them as soon as they come out, and they all are generally the same size so they fit nicely together on my shelf (the ones I keep that is). 

So there is the difference between hardcover and paperback. I like both versions but maybe one works better for you. Neither one is better than the other and each has ups and downs. Make your choice as you will and do not discriminate.
Have a great week everyone and I will see you monday!
- K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kings or Pawns By J. J. Sherwood

By the Hands of Men: The Old World by Roy M. Griffs

The World Below by Mike Phillips