Ashes by Lisa J. Bick

Hey everyone I hope you had a good Thanksgiving (for those of you in Canada). I was lucky enough that my boyfriend had the day off to make me and my roommate a nice dinner, since I was unable to make it home to be with my family due to work. But despite being so busy I still managed to get a book read for today.
For the last couple weeks I have been looking for good Apocalypse books with little luck. I saw this book but the description didn't really fit what I was looking for. When I couldn't find anything else to read I said "screw it" and read it anyway.
The first thing I found when reading the book is that it was WAY better than the description lead on. There was a whole other theme to the story that wasn't even mentioned in the description. The moment I started I couldn't put it down and within 24 hours I had read the second book and was working on the third book.
So let me tell you a bit about it:

Alex ran away from her Aunts place to fulfill her parents final wishes. She hikes into the woods with everything she needs to survive, including her fathers hand gun he had left to her. But she doesn't go alone. She brings with her the monster that threatens her life: A large brain tumour that will one day end her life.
On her journey she meets 8 year old Ellie and her grandfather and their dog, Mina. Ellie is a brat but Alex has more things to worry about than one bratty girl.
Soon an EMP hits the country setting off a series of events that no one could have predicted. All power plants melt down, creating a nuclear nightmare across all countries. With no electronics it makes it impossible to know how far it has reached and what's going on.
But that's not the half of the problem. The EMP had an effect on people, not just electronics. Anyone over the age of 60 had no effect. People from the age of 30 to 60 died instantly. Children were not effected. But the people from age of puberty to 30 had the worst reaction of all.
They became savages killing anyone they can get their hands on and eating them.
Alex and Ellie will have to fight their way through the savages into a world that they no longer recognize. And though they have help along the way there are many dangers in the world waiting for them. All they have to do is get somewhere safe.
If such a place even exists.

I really loved this book because of its realism. Alex and her friends may not make it to the end of their journey together and there is never a happy ending. The author did a great job putting the story together with a mix of humour and horror.
Plot: A
Pace: B+
Characters: A-
Setting: B+
Ending: B
Overall Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Have a great week everyone and happy reading!
- K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kings or Pawns By J. J. Sherwood

By the Hands of Men: The Old World by Roy M. Griffs

The World Below by Mike Phillips