Zom-B by Darren Shan

Hey everyone, back again. This week I found this book, and thought that because there were so many books in the series that I could get into it and have something to read for a little while. Boy was I wrong.
What struck me right off the bat was that, despite the fact that the book was small, the print was large and centred in the page so that it took up so much room! And also, there were pictures in the book, not many mind you, but I have trouble trusting a series book about zombies when it has pictures in it. It made it feel more like a children's book than a teen to young adult book...
The author also tries to throw in a lot of twists, but the way they end up happening leave me confused and thinking that he just made a mistake rather than actually being impressed. 

B is a typical American whose father is a raging bigot, part of a modern KKK. While B does not wish to be like that, it is constantly seen that B is. And though B states that there is no relation like that it is constantly proven that there is raging racism present in everything they do.
Soon the news is showing a 'zombie' outbreak that had occurred in a nearby city that B's father denies happening. And though B normally takes the side of his father there is much doubt present.
Before long B is back at school when the zombies attack. As B and a small group of students try to get through the rapidly infected school many of them get picked off. It is up to them to get out of the school and figure out why all of the doors are locked from the outside.
There are many things that will come into light, but no one will be expecting the ending (especially considering there are like, 12 more books in the series)

Now before you all get pissed off because my writing was a bit odd in the description, know that I could not put in anything relating to the sex of the main character. That might spoil things for you, and I am sorry for that, but I have to put it out there.
One thing I really didn't like was that B kept going over how there was no way they would be like their father. And yet absolutely everything they did went against that thought, and then they tried to rationalize it. It just seemed sloppy to me.
Another thing that got me was that, although there was a lot of action happening, I never really had a heart pounding moment when I was really into reading it. Because the story was so short it seemed like almost, I don't know, maybe 50 pages were dedicated out of the 200 (probably pushing that number too) pages of the whole book to the school scene. 
The author jumped from small scene to small scene that there wasn't a lot of room left for the action. 
I also don't like it when books leave large questions unanswered. I understand that this is because they want you to read the second book to figure it out, but when large questions are left unanswered I feel more like it was due to laziness rather that intent. That is just my opinion.
Overall, I have to give this book a 2 out of 5 stars, because I read it (the whole book took maybe an hour and a half to read) and I finished it. It wasn't so bad that I put it down, although at this point I wish I had.
I hear that the books get better as they go on, which is nice to know, but I will not be continuing this series. Give it a try if you like this sort of thing and maybe you will enjoy it more than I did, but let me just put out there that I don't feel the author deserves the title of 'Master of Horror'.
Have a nice week everyone!
- K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kings or Pawns By J. J. Sherwood

By the Hands of Men: The Old World by Roy M. Griffs

The World Below by Mike Phillips