First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones

"What Twirly nugget are you from?"
Good morning everyone and I hope you all had a relaxing weekend. This week I got back into using my phone to read books because I couldn't make a trip out to the bookstore to resupply myself. This book was recommended to my by a few people so I thought I would give it a try.
First impressions were pretty good. The main character is funny as hell, constantly cracking jokes and taking everything, good and bad, in the best way possible.
I knew going into the book that it would be funny but I wasn't prepared for how much I truly enjoyed it. So let me tell you a bit about it:

Charley Davidson is a Private Investigator with a few tricks up her sleeve. Since she was born she has been able to see ghosts and help them move on. Technically she is a grim reaper.
With the help of a few spirit companions she helps her uncle, the chief of police, solve murders that occur within the city. But she can't do much for three dead lawyers who didn't get a good look at their killer and don't know why anyone would want them dead.
With her uncles help she works the case trying to solve the triple murder before anyone else ends up dead.
And Charley has some problems of her own to deal with. In addition to being haunted in her dreams by a sexy memory, constantly being on the look out for Big Bad who kills anyone who tries to harm her, someone she once knew may die if she can't convince a group of people to help him out. What Charley doesn't know is that all three people are connected in way she could never imagine.
Follow Charlie, her uncle, and her assistant cookie (along with three dead people hanging around) as they rush to solve a murder and save lives.

The best part of this story, by far, is the humour. Charley and Cookie love making jokes about the fact that she can see spirits and Charley herself is just a confident character who isn't afraid to poke fun. I didn't know going in to the story that it was more for the adult audience, if you get my drift (hint: there was a lot of sex in it).
But for the most part I really looked forward to reading the book. The only thing I will say is that the story in the book is a little lacking, but the humour makes up for it. That's my opinion.
Characters: A
Setting: B-
Story: C+
Pace:B-
Ending: C+
 OVERALL RATING: 4 out of 5 stars (because of the humour)
Have a great day everyone and happy reading!
- K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kings or Pawns By J. J. Sherwood

By the Hands of Men: The Old World by Roy M. Griffs

The World Below by Mike Phillips