Sapient by Jerry Kaczmarowski

Hey everyone. This review is super late as I have been so busy with moving and family problems that I haven't had a chance to read the book. Now that things are starting to settle down I have had a chance to read it and now I can finally tell you what I think.
The author was kind enough to send me a copy, and though I have had to put it off for the last month, I really am thankful that I was able to read this book.

Jane works as a scientist in a research facility where she is trying to create a serum to cure autism. She works with rats to test the cure and one rat, named Einstein, has shown remarkable capabilities. Over time he has been able to navigate mazes and even learned how to count.
With the testing going so well she moves up to testing on larger animals starting with a dog named Bear. But what no one realizes is that she is so focused on this cure because her own son Robbie was born with autism. She is hoping that the cure she makes will one day be able to help her son.
At home Robbie struggles with his tutor and nanny to the point where the nanny nearly quits until Jane can manage to respect her schedule. This puts even more strain on Jane as she is close to finding the cure she wants.
When the CDC and the military find out about her progress in research suddenly everyone is involved in the findings. A woman is assigned to determine if the research is dangerous and if the project should be shut down permanently.
This spooks Jane into action knowing that both Einstein and Bear will be put down if people realize how smart both animals have become. Einstein has been bringing Bear out of his cage at night to learn how to count and once the military learns this they are sure to be put down for the safety of humans.
Jane decides that if she is going to be taken down for her work she will complete the final test on her own; with Robbie as her final test subject.
Now Jane is being held by police while Robbie, Einstein and Bear are on the run trying to keep away from the cages of the law. Robbie knows if he is caught they will kill his new animal friends and he will be experimented on against his will.
The race is on for the disease that Jane has created that is now airborne. Robbie wants to help his mom but is in danger himself. One thing is certain to Robbie and his mom, the world is about to change. Whether it is for the better or not has yet to be seen.

I really enjoyed this book. I thought when I first started reading it that it was going to be a little boring. Science has never been my strongest subject so I thought I would be lost most of the way through.
But the author did a great job at giving animals a personality and creating a suspenseful novel that had me on the edge of my seat most of the time. 
The reactions from the people seemed very genuine and realistic. I always enjoy when an author is able to create realistic scenarios, especially when the book is so serious and advanced with scientific knowledge. 
For these reason I am giving the book a 4 out of 5 stars.
Happy reading everyone and I will see you soon!
- K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kings or Pawns By J. J. Sherwood

By the Hands of Men: The Old World by Roy M. Griffs

The World Below by Mike Phillips